Homeowners insurance, also referred to as home insurance or property insurance, provides coverage for your private home and compensates you in the event of a loss. If your home is burglarized or is partially or totally destroyed by a cause that is covered by your policy, homeowners insurance will help you replace your belongings, repair your home, or even rebuild.


Homeowners insurance also provides liability coverage which protects you, the homeowner, in the event that someone is injured on your property or you are deemed responsible for personal injury or property damage through negligence.


The amount of compensation you receive in a claim, or that the claimant receives from your insurance company when filing a liability claim against you, depends on the limits set for your policy. Our agents can help you to determine the amount of coverage that makes the most sense for your home and your risk exposure.

The Basic Homeowner’s insurance policy is a package policy combining more than one type of insurance coverage in a single policy.

Structure of Home

Insure your home for its replacement value. This is how much it would currently cost to build your home from scratch. (Be sure you have an accurate estimate of your home’s value.) The amount it would cost to sell your house is not a good indicator of the replacement value.

Personal Belongings

Most policies cover your personal belongings at 50 to 70 percent of your home’s value. This may not be enough coverage if you have many valuable items. Conduct an inventory of your personal belongings to find out how much coverage you need and insure them at replacement cost. For antiques or high value items, you may need to purchase a personal articles policy or additional “rider” that can provide more complete coverage.


A basic policy might include $100,000 to $300,000 of liability coverage. Considering the cost of personal injury lawsuits, you may want to purchase liability insurance with higher $300,000 to $500,000 limits.

For additional protection and peace of mind, consider buying an umbrella policy, which can add another $1 million or more in liability coverage. An umbrella policy is an excellent way for anyone to increase liability protection, but it’s an especially good idea for anyone with more valuable than average assets to protect, or particular liability concerns.


Your regular homeowner insurance policy does not contain coverage for flood damage to your home and contents. In order to have coverage in the event of a flood, you must purchase an additional flood insurance policy.

Mobile Homeowners


Mobile and Manufactured Homes are a separate type of policy from a Homeowners policy. The construction, materials used, and foundation are different from a site-built home. Even though the construction is different, your home still requires protection.

Property Coverage

Protects you from any big loss to your property due to fire, theft, etc.

Liability Coverage

Protects you financially if someone files a claim or lawsuit after getting hurt in your home or on your property.

Contents Coverage

Protects all your possessions due to fire, theft, etc.

Renters Insurance


Renters insurance is necessary if you are renting a home or apartment and want to be sure your valuable possessions are protected from loss, theft or damage, and protects you in the event of liability claims as well.


For example, if someone is hurt in your rented home or apartment and the injury is deemed to be your fault, that person can file a liability claim with your insurance company to cover the costs associated with the injury.


If the injured person chooses to file a law suit against you, your renter’s liability insurance would pay for your legal defense, up to the limits set on your policy. If you do not have renters insurance, these costs would be your responsibility to pay out of pocket.


Renters insurance is also important because your possessions are not protected by the landlord’s insurance policy. Landlord insurance covers damage to the building but does not protect your possessions.



Your condominium association typically has their own coverage that protects the exterior and common areas, and it may or may not provide the insurance on your building structure.  Similar to homeowners insurance, condominium insurance covers your personal property, liability, and any improvements that you make. However, your condominium association agreement will dictate what portions of the building are covered through the association. Unlike homeowners, condo dwellers don’t own the building they live in or the land it sits on.


Your condo or homeowners association (HOA) will carry a master policy to insure the building and pay for accidents that occur on outside property or in common areas. However, your HOA might not pay to repair the inside of your unit after disasters, nor will it replace your damaged or stolen belongings or cover liability costs if guests are injured in your condo.


What does Condo insurance cover?

These policies offer a range of coverages including but not limited to:

Personal Liability

Master Policy Deductible

Special Assessments

Personal Property (contents)

Loss of Use

Medical Payments

Perils that are excluded under a standard condo insurance policy include damage from floods, earthquakes, sewer backups, and (in some locales) hurricanes. Owners, who wish these additional coverages, can purchase these additional protections with their policy.

Seasonal Homes


Like any residence, your vacation home needs to be insured, but because the risks are different, the coverage and cost will differ from your primary homeowners policy. Second homes provide a respite from weekday life, and may even be a good investment. They also, however, present more of an insurance risk than your primary residence the fact that you don’t not physically occupy your second home as frequently puts it in more danger for theft, vandalism and easily undetected damage, like burst water pipes.


To insure a vacation retreat, a homeowner simply purchases an independent home insurance policy for the seasonal residence. The premium will be priced based on the same factors as any other home – the replacement cost value, the deductible you choose and other applicable risks. As most vacation homes tend to be unoccupied for long periods of time, the premium could be higher.


Factors that can affect the cost to insure your seasonal home may include but are not limited to:


How often the home is occupied


Type of Property

Whether or not you are renting the home to others when you are not there.

Rental Property


Your rental property is a serious investment. If you own a property that you rent out to others, making sure it’s protected could make all the difference. We have carriers that insure single family homes, condo units, duplexes, triplexes, and fourplexes, etc. Coverage includes protection from damage as well as from certain liabilities unique to landlords such as wrongful eviction and wrongful entry lawsuits.


You need landlord insurance when you do not occupy the same residence as your tenant. You will also need landlord insurance if you are renting out your own home temporarily or sharing accommodations, such as your basement level, with a renter.


Landlord insurance is important because it protects you from financial loss resulting from accidents, natural disasters, injuries and other liability issues associated with your rental property. It also provides reimbursement for loss of rental income and can cover any repairs or even the entire replacement of a rental property structure due to a covered peril.


One of our agents can help you discover the landlord insurance coverage you need to fit your unique situation.

Scheduled Items


Do you have jewelry, musical instruments, expensive artwork, coin collections, collector’s items, etc.? Scheduled Personal Property insurance is a supplemental coverage that helps extend coverage beyond the standard protections offered on most homeowners, renters, and condominiums policies. By adding Valuable Articles Coverage to your current homeowners policy, you’ll get the special protection you need for your most valuable things. From cherished jewelry to vital medical devices, this coverage protects your most important possessions in the event of damage, loss, or theft.


Your homeowners, renters, or condominium policy does offer some coverage for these items, but that amount may not be enough, depending on the value of your items. By purchasing scheduled personal property, you are making sure that your precious valuables will not be forgotten in the event of a loss.


Two options for coverage:

No itemizing necessary, just extra protection

Broad Protection

Get blanket coverage for a variety of risks without having to itemize each of the items you want to protect.

High Limit, Low Deductible

High coverage limits are available, subject to a maximum per item limit of $5,000 and a low deductible.

The ultimate custom coverage for your prized possessions

Enhanced Protection

This option allows you to get specific coverage based on the individual value of each of the items listed on your policy.

Agreed value and no deductible

With no deductible and an agreed-upon value basis for each fine art and jewelry item, making and settling a claim is straightforward and simple.

Protection for various items.

Many different types of items can be covered on your policy, including stamp and coin collections, musical instruments, hearing aids, cell phones, and more.

What Is Umbrella Insurance?


Personal umbrella policies or a PUP is an extension of your liability insurance. It helps broaden and increase your protection. Umbrella insurance protects you in liability situations where your home, auto or boat policies come up short.


This can include significantly upping your coverage limit to relieve the financial strain of medical bills and legal fees in the event of an extremely costly accident. The extra coverage protects you by Increasing the dollar limit of liability coverage for primary policies. Your agent will review your specific needs and offer coverage options for you.

These definitions provide a brief description of the terms and phrases used within the insurance industry. These definitions are not applicable in all states or for all insurance and financial products. This is not an insurance contract. Other terms, conditions and exclusions apply. Please read your official policy for full details about coverages. These definitions do not alter or modify the terms of any insurance contract. If there is any conflict between these definitions and the provisions of the applicable insurance policy, the terms of the policy control. Additionally, this informational resource is not intended to fully set out your rights and obligations or the rights and obligations of the insurance company, agent or agency. If you have questions about your insurance, you should contact your insurance agent, the insurance company, or the language of the insurance policy.